COVID 19 and Funerals
Currently all services will continue to be offered with social distancing encouraged for all attending. Services will be limited to no more 150 persons attending, both indoors and outdoors, and 1 person per 2 sq. mt. indoors will also be applicable.. Doors will be kept open for fresh air ventilation where possible. For the time being we request all prepaid funerals be initially prepared using our online form service.
Please note that funeral venues impose their own restrictions due to the space available and less people may be able to attend in certain locations. Lounge services are currently suspended.
As a general guide our Essential Service is the most appropriate starting point for chapel services in Adelaide at the moment.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Funerals
Page Updated Friday September 4,2020.
We are currently facing uncertain and difficult times as the coronavirus epidemic unfolds. Things are changing on a daily basis and the impact it is having on funerals is considerable. We have provided below our current and best thinking about how we will need to manage our funeral arrangements over the coming weeks and possibly many months.
Firstly - If you are feeling unwell and feel you may pose a risk by attending a funeral, we would advise you to follow the Australian Government guidelines.
There is the direction of gatherings for funerals are to abide by 1 person per 2 sq. metre indoors plus our staff/officiating persons for funeral services. A maximum of 100 persons may attend an indoor funeral. Outdoors are now also restricted to no more than 100 persons attending. We have put additional procedures in place, and liaise with others to manage current plans and consider future requirements. We also are keen to safeguard ourselves and those who might come into contact with us.
What we are doing
We have considered all infection control options in line with the latest advice given by the government.
At this point in time we have decided to do the following:
- In order to keep our premises as clean and clear as possible we will be limiting the number of people who enter them, all funeral arrangements therefore will take place over the telephone initially, using our online portal or via email. When we visit families in their homes or other venues we request that a online planning form is completed first to ensure our visit is as short and direct as possible.
- Our office arranging rooms are cleaned after every visit and we have two arranging rooms to ensure cleaning is done properly after each visit by families.
- Before we collect the person who has died, we may ask you a series of questions related to coronavirus/COVID-19 and pneumonia to ensure we are best equipped to safely deal with your circumstances.
- Our people may be wearing additional personal protective equipment (PPE) even when the risk is deemed to be low.
- To protect everyone in our community, our people have been instructed not to shake hands. We'll still be warm and friendly.
- In the case of Coronavirus related deaths, we may have to arrange a prompt funeral to prevent unnecessary storage and handling of the person who has died.